1. Research studies identified that consumers are actively increasing their use of the internet, where they collect and disseminate information and knowledge (Forrester Research), AND at a faster rate than business traffic.
2. This is the result of the dynamic changes and choices in technology which has resulted in fragmentation of the “traditional” communication. Consumers have changed their approach, but the business structure (primarily in the medium to small size companies) is lagging behind.
3. This significant gap provides a major competitive advantage and window of opportunity for small and medium businesses willing to change in line with the consumer approach.
4. Its not a single piece of the marketing mix that is required to change (e.g. a new website, use of search engine optimization, use of Google ad words etc) but a new internet marketing pathway based on proven brand marketing principles.
5. “Build a Website and they will come…..but they don’t”…. how few websites in an existence today are built (and regularly updated) for the “changing consumer”?
6. The new Internet Marketing Model fundamentally changes the thought process and business structure of how to reach the customer / consumer.
7. The website (& its contents) is a critical focal point, as it integrates and coordinates all the other Internet Marketing & Advertising possibilities available to businesses.
What are the changes that We as Consumers have adopted so willingly?
Basically we have more choice today, and the choice is more under our control.
The availability of multimedia in multiple delivery systems has created a breakdown of what we read, watch, listen to, use, avoid. and what we can ignore.
As a result, our perception of branded products and services has changed due to seeing more images, more messages, more frequently.
The message, positioning and promise of the product and the service have also changed.
We now continually assess a branded product and service (and its supplier) in a multi dimensional composite of all we have recently seen & heard from multiple sources, in the rapidly changing and dynamic new environment.
Our expectations have changed we are more demanding, more inquisitive, more skeptical, and more savvy in our adoption of the traditional marketing “message” in advertising promotion, packaging, supplier claims, and PR.
We no longer Surf the web, we now Search the web.
We expect websites & suppliers to be as efficient & easy as Amazon.com.
We Google when we want information.
We do not read Web Sites we scan pages for Keywords or Relevant facts.
We link with people in totally new Social networks e.g. LinkedIn, Face book.
We expect change and speed of change and adopt it quicker e.g. IPhone, IPad
We Skype friends overseas with a free video communication service.
We search and compare products & services.
We build our own news & entertainment schedule with YouTube, CNet, ITunes, ESPN.
We communicate “word of mouth” now by “speed of email”.
We balance or challenge mass media statements with individual Blog “experts”.
I wrote the above notes in 2008, and little has changed, I am still amazed that the Internet Business Opportunity Gap for Small and Medium size businesses still exists.
So why are Small and Medium size businesses lagging behind in the adoption of Internet Marketing and SEO Optimization?
With the drive to Local Search being championed by Google and Bing, surely 2011 will the year of dramatic change.