John C. Cullen
Mobile : 513-304-8845 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Senior Executive / Interim Senior Manager / General Manager
Seasoned Marketing Leader
BACKROUND AND SKILL SUMMARY
- 35 + years of Marketing, Management, and Sales Leadership for global organizations. Responsible for the development and placement of consumer brands personal care, hair care, skin care, luxury cosmetic, coffee and beer /wine and
- 25+ years of Senior-level Global Marketing and Brand Management. Lived and worked in UK, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Switzerland, USA
- 8 years of experience in Small Medium Business (SMB) marketing, both traditional and digital marketing. In-depth knowledge of internet / digital / on-line marketing for B2B (machinery, Personal products, food & beverages, restaurants.
- Operations and P&L Management
- Strategic business planner with strong implementation skills
- Change agent / turn-around manager
- Business lecturer, Xavier University and University of Cincinnati
- Consumer goods brand marketing (online and offline) experience in both B2C and B2B
- Hands-on management style with effective team building and leadership
- Creative merchandising and sales promotion success
- Effective communication skills written and verbal
- Executive Coaching of internet marketing implementation
- Launched Sunsilk shampoo in South Korea, new product launches in the Middle East, launched Axe deodorant in Denmark, launched Biore in over 20 counties including the UK
Marketing though Creative Leadership ♦ Strong Communicator
♦ Global Marketing ♦ Product Design ♦ Product Introduction and Placement
♦ Team Builder ♦ Management Coaching Skills
♦ Problem Solving ♦ Motivator ♦ Business Solutions
♦ Strategic Planning ♦ Creative ♦Results-Driven
Proteus Internet Sales and Marketing, LLC (Cincinnati, Ohio) 2007 – to present
Proteus provides Search Engine Marketing and Web Site Optimization management Consultancy to small and medium-size businesses using Internet Marketing with On-Line Visibility / Integrated Marketing Strategy.
Founder and Owner – Proteus Internet Marketing 2007 – present
- Internet / Digital Marketing consulting, speaker, executive coach
- Online Brand / Company visibility
- Website Marketing (Content, Menu Architecture)
- Local Marketing (Google Places / Local Directories)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Pay per Click (SEM)
- Google Analytics, WebMaster Tools
- Social Media Marketing (YouTube, Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Blog writing
Business Clients include :
- Freeman Schwabe Machinery: USA Industrial Machinery, sales increased 250% in last 3 years, delivered record profit in 2013
- Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks: Ohio Entertainment and Retail businesses, implemented SEO of web sites, delivered 30% cost savings in marketing expenditure.
- True Shopping: UK Online Retailer, introduced Ad Words Strategy & Campaigns, reducing Cost of Sales Conversion by 40% within a 3 month period.
- Oxfordshire Hotels: UK Hospitality Group, increased uniques visitors to websites + 200% during 12 months
- Prestige Brands: UK Consumer Brands, developed and implemented internet marketing strategy for Murine and Ultra Chloraseptic
- House Trends: Regional USA magazine, introduced SEO program and provide consulting support to editors and sales staff
- Non Profit: contributed to ESCC (Executive Services Corps Cincinnati) and Battle Creek Junior Theatre internet marketing strategy
- Art Classes Cincinnati: Local art studio and art classes, designed new website and SEO implementation, business doubled and my web visits have increased 200%
Intelligrated Inc (Cincinnati, Ohio) 2002 – 2006
Intelligrated® (www.intelligrated.com) is a leading North American-based, single-source provider of intelligent automated material handling solutions that drives distribution and fulfillment productivity for retailers, manufacturers and logistics providers around the world. Intelligrated was founded in 2001, and has developed organically, and through acquisition, during last 10 years to >$500 million turnover, with distinctive brand image.
Vice President of Marketing and Sales (2002-2006)
As an early investor in this entrepreneurial start up company, I was a member of the executive management team and personally developed and implemented the integrated sales and marketing strategy:
- Developed and implemented the start up marketing strategy, creating a notable industry branding success.
- Sales grew dramatically +35% in 2005, in 2006 sales were in the region of $60 million
- Led introduction of the SalesNet CRM program and Internet / Web Site Marketing
- Led the implementation of the Miller Heiman Key Account Planning process
- Implemented innovative Google Ad Words campaign for OnLine Parts business in 2005
Interim General Manager – Versa/Intelligrated Operations London, Ohio 2004-2005
Managed the integration of Versa company and Intelligrated, and day to day operations of company production facility on interim assignment and in addition to Sales & Marketing responsibilities:
- designed new organization efficiency, with structure, processes, position profiles
- implemented restructuring of total facility
- saved $1 million in indirect costs of operation
Kao Brands / The Andrew Jergens Company (Cincinnati,Ohio) 1997-2002
Kao is a global beauty care company, based in Japan. In the American and European regions, Kao beauty care includes premium mass hair care brands such as John Frieda® and Guhl®, professional hair care brands such as Goldwell® and KMS California®, premium skin care brands such as Jergens® and Curel® body lotions, Ban® antiperspirants and Bioré® facial care and prestige brands such as Molton Brown, a specialist retailer of prestige cosmetics.
Vice President International Sales & Marketing
Recruited from Unilever by Kornferry to lead the Jergens / Kao International Strategy, within 2 years I was promoted to take on the additional responsibility of USA marketing group as well.
(i) Developed & implemented a new International Strategy for Kao brands to significantly grow the brand sales in identified core overseas markets and the international base, across multiple channels of trade with both direct and indirect sales forces:
- International sales more than doubled during the following 18 month period ($40 million).
- Led the sales launch of the Bioré brand into over 20 countries including Mexico, Latin America, UK & Ireland and Middle East, gaining top 5 facial skincare cleansing position in core expansion markets.
- Developed and executed direct account selling to global accounts e.g.
- Set up local business offices and staff in Mexico, Argentina, UK,
- Negotiated new distributor sales agreements in UK, Ireland, Argentina, Mexico and Saudi Arabia
- Renegotiated royalty license agreement in Philippines for Jergens lotion with Philippine partners, generating an annual profit / income increase of $750,000.
- Created & implemented integrated launch plans for multiple innovative products designed for local market consumers, e.g. Jergens Musk lotion in Middle East and Jergens Firming lotion in Mexico.
(ii) Managed USA Marketing for Kao brands in addition to role of VP International:
- Managed the total company marketing group with net sales of $360 million
- Jergens moisturizing lotion achieved #1 sales leadership position in the US market place in September 2001
- Managed profitability of total company brand portfolio [Jergens, Curél, Bioré, Ban] with net sales of $360 million, and a budget of $70 million.
- Delivered $1.5 million annual savings & improved efficiency by centralizing brands to one creative & media agency.
- Coordinated with new product development for sales & marketing launch plans for the successful new product innovation e.g. Jergens Firming and Naturally Smooth lotions, Ban Beautifully Smooth.
- Led Sales & Marketing annual reviews & presentations with Key Accounts e.g. Target
- Led International and Marketing sections of acquisition reviews of Revlon and Clairol
Unilever is a multinational corporation selling consumer branded goods including foods, beverages, cleaning agents and personal care products. Unilever is a dual-listed company consisting of Unilever NV in Rotterdam and Unilever PLC in London. Unilever owns more than 400 brands including 11 “billion-dollar brands”, which each achieve annual sales in excess of €1 billion.
Elizabeth Arden (Unilever) 1991- 1997
Elizabeth Arden is a global beauty products and toiletries business, which was acquired by Unilever from Faberge Inc. in 1989 and sold the Arden business unit to FFI in 2002. The core Arden business continues to sell make-up, skincare and fragrance products with an annual turnover of $1.3 billion.
Vice President, International Marketing (New York, NY) 1993-1997
Overall responsibility for developing and managing the Global Strategy for the Elizabeth Arden with sales of $400million portfolio Skincare, Color Cosmetics and Fragrance:
- Developed and implemented the first Global Marketing Strategy for Elizabeth Arden in 1993
- Led Global Sales launch of multiple new brands / products across each category Elizabeth Arden Skin Illuminating Complex and Alpha Ceramide both of which were successful global sales launches across multiple channels of trade (Department Stores, Cosmetics Retail, Pharmacy)
- As Interim Vice President for Asia Pacific Region managed the P&L account for total Elizabeth Arden Asia Pacific Region business with sales of $100 million in 1996-1997:
- Directed and managed regional offices / management: South Africa, Singapore, Korea, Japan, Australia
- Developed and implemented Duty Free Shoppers Asia Pacific global account strategy coordinated with domestic marketing activities
- Lead restructuring plans for loss making business units in Japan and Australia to break-even financial results performance.
Area Director, Nordic Region (Geneva, Switzerland) 1991-1993
- Managed Regional P&L of $100 million Region Domestic and Duty Free across Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland
- Delivered complex business tax model to turn around sales division in Denmark, increasing sales by 50% in 2 years
- Achieved record profits for the Domestic business division.
Unilever – Home and Personal Care Products 1980-1991
Unilever global brand strength in Home and Personal care products is centered on Lux cleansing, Dove and Sunsilk hair care , Signal dental care, Axe and Rexona deodorant and Omo and Jif in detergents.
General Manager / Chairman (Copenhagen, Denmark) 1987-1991
- Responsible for the full brand portfolio within the Unilever Personal Product business in Denmark, direct sales business unit (sales of $40 million / staff of 30) which included a variety of brands in hair care, deodorants, skincare and color cosmetics:
- Led multiple new product launch and relaunch campaigns : Axe launch, Rexona relaunch and Elida shampoo
- Launched innovative hair care brand Dimension 2 in 1 to stop competitive launch of P&G brand Wash`n Go.
- Led the local due diligence team acquisition review of Vaseline & Ponds brands prior to global acquisition.
- Led the Unilever Total Quality leadership initiative and team member of the first USA tour of “best in class” TQ companies and executive management: Eli Lilley, Florida Power and Light, Milliken, Ford in 1991
- Executive Member of the Unilever Denmark Management team and the Unilever Nordic Personal Products management committee.
General Manager (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) 1984-1987
- Managed sales and bottom line responsibility of the Unilever consumer goods brand portfolio in Saudi Arabia with $60 million in sales which encompassed hair care, oral care, skin care working with two local Saudi distributors Binzagr and Bugshan:
- Delivered Sales increase of 40% during the period despite the Middle East economic slowdown (as price of oil declined and dollar exchange to sterling equalized).
- Prepared and implemented more efficient brand media plans including the launch of Unilever first commercial TV campaign plans in Saudi Arabia.
- Managed the local Unilever Joint Venture with local Saudi partners and Binzagr Company to maximize supply chain efficiencies and profit return, while maintaining long term JV business relationship.
- Led a variety of new product launches e.g. Dove Cream, Sunsilk Shampoo, Jif and Lux Liquid.
Market Manager (Seoul, South Korea) 1983-1984
- Participated in Unilever management “market entry” assessment and was then appointed as country manager:
- Coordinated and implemented sales & marketing plans on core Unilever Personal Products brands Lux and Close Up & Signal tooth pastes with two Korean Licensee partners Aekyung and Pacific Chemical Company.
- Developed and managed with the local partners the market sales & brand strategy and launch of Sunsilk Shampoo brand into the Korean market in 1983.
- Developed business plans to finalize joint venture with local company Aekyung.
- Coordinated visit of Aekyung board members to meet Unilever senior management in London and production facilities in Port Sunlight and Leeds.
Brand Management – Unilever International (Bristol, UK) 1980 -1983
- Senior brand manager on a range Personal Products developed and designed for Middle East markets Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman
Whitbread Take Home Division (Dorking, UK) 1979-1980
- UK Sales Promotions Manager
- Heineken – managed in-store promotions in retail accounts
- Heldenbrau – coordinated marketing launch of new strong lager beer
- Stowells of Chelsea – presented marketing plans for new “Wine Box” launch UK national accounts
General Foods (Banbury, England) 1974 – 1979
- Brand Manager – Maxwell House Coffee 1977-1979
- Assistant Export Manager 1976-1977
- Assistant Planning Manager Maxwell House coffee 1974-1976
Manchester Metropolitan University
2:1 Honors Degree in Economics – Manchester, England.