Small Business is still slow to Adopt the Digital Mindset
Corporate is being challenged by smaller more energetic and forceful competition, through online search, building on an effective web site and social media network has become a dynamic marketing tool.
So why is it taking so long for Small and Medium size businesses to realize the changes and the benefits.
Not only is the world flat but it appears to be spinning faster, at least things appear to be happening faster.
Today’s marketing has evolved into how the early economists described the world of “Perfect Competition”, where the competition is right behind, and improving constantly, as information is open and available to all.
Being out of the Corporate for life for some years it amazes me I stayed or lasted so long, but I am glad I did because being active in Global or International Marketing helped me achieve what I wanted to achieve: a global view, different cultures, different environments, disruptive marketing, fresh new regular challenges, working in a dynamic marketing environment.
There is a correlation between the two worlds of Global Marketing and Internet Marketing and hence the reason I am doing what I am doing.
With the evolvement of SEO, SEM and Social Media Marketing, more and more closet marketing gurus have appeared, unfortunately most lack the depth of experience and knowledge in proven and tested foundations in marketing and sales.
Today’s Marketing Challenge
1. With so much “free advice” available internet marketing consulting has still to develop and to be recognized within the mainstream of essential business needs, which adds significant value and therefore worth investing in.
2. The speed of change has many smaller businesses confused or unaware of benefits, consulting involves coaching and coordinating, and selecting what is relevant to individual clients and their unique business challenges and opportunities.
3. The role and opportunities of the Internet, SEO and SEM has been “hijacked” by IT and marketing was too slow to recognize its potential.
4. Thinking with a “digital mindset” is a prerequisite, this is a significant change to forcing products out to reach sales & financial targets, which is a significant issue small and medium size businesses, certainly most family businesses.
5. How do we reach people, who don’t see or understand the need and benefits….using old media / marketing tools to tell people about new media / marketing opportunities ?
6. How do we communicate with people who don’t use the internet as a new medium, the acronyms and the terminology has developed very quickly to give validity to the tech or IT property?
7. Building trust with an unknown “consultant”, is the most important and the most difficult parameter to overcome with new clients, especially as everything is constantly changing, so not everything is proven.
8. Delivering tangible results to show added value to clients, without “guaranteeing #1 google ranking” or other promotional gimmicks which conflict with the longer term benefits.
9. Introducing “visibility of information” and “measurement” as a key business management tool, creates concern with management.
10. To implement all the benefits is time consuming and to capitalize on all benefits requires time, patience and most important the basic business premise understanding “what is your business positioning and competitive advantage to start with”.
The proven principles of marketing for any business remain the same:
Who are we and what do we do better than other suppliers?
Who are our competitors?
Where do we want to be?
How can we get there?
How do make a profit in doing so?