My jaw is still against my chest, after reading the 2010 UK Website – SEO Study of 1,001 SME (small medium enterprises) websites and compared them against a range of SEO criteria.
- 70% of companies researched have less than 50 employees, and they either have no SEO or very basic optimisation of their website
- 12% of SEM websites are not indexed in any search engine,
- 35% of websites did not have unique page titles
- 56% lacked unique page descriptions
- 82% of small business websites had no HTML site map
It is especially worrying as I also read the results of Zoomerang 2010 US Research “…. understanding of how small to midsized businesses (SMB) are using their
marketing budget in 2010, as well as 2011 projections”
– 46% of SMB (small medium businesses) businesses, in USA, do NOT have a website!
– 35% of the SMBs surveyed employ some form of social media
The net take away is SEO has made very limited progress in Small Business Marketing in USA and UK.
The good news, however, is the opportunity for Marketing SEO Consultants is huge, if we live long enough!